Islam in America
As Lutheran Christians, we know the true and living Triune God. To reach Muslims for Christ, it is important to know more about Islam.
Even though some beliefs and practices may vary among Muslims, there are six principle beliefs that are accepted by almost all peoples of the Islamic faith. These beliefs are:
Monotheism: There is only one god, and his name is Allah.
Angels: These include Gabriel, the one who conveyed the message of Allah to Muhammad, Michael, the angel of providence and guardian of the Jews, Israfil, the one who will sound the trumpet that will summon everyone for the Judgment, and Izrail, the angel of death.
Prophets: Among the twenty-five prophets mentioned by name in the Qur’an are Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, John the Baptist, Jesus, and Muhammad. Though Jesus is mentioned ninety-seven times in the Qur’an and is given greater honor than any of the earlier prophets, it is Muhammad that is called the “seal of the prophets.”
Scripture: The Qur’an is the very words of Allah. It was revealed to Muhammad by Gabriel in Arabic, the original language. The Qur’an, which is used by Muslims today, is believed to be identical with the “mother of the book” in heaven, a book that the Qur’an itself affirms is uncreated.
Day of Judgment: Each individual will stand before the throne of Allah, and his good deeds will be weighed against his bad deeds to determine whether his destiny will be paradise or hell. Paradise is described as a beautiful garden where those who have followed the straight path of Islam will live in the presence of Allah. For men there is the promise of both sexual and sensual pleasures.
DID YOU KNOW
- Muslims are mission-minded people, commanded by Allah to spread Islam.
- Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, outnumbering all Christian denominations combined with a growing presence in every continent. There are 1.2 billion Muslims in the world today. 19.5% of the world’s population.
- Islam is growing 21.2% faster than Christianity.
- There is one Christian Missionary per 1 million Muslims. Over 200 million Muslims live in Indonesia. The same number live in Muslim countries combined. Not all Muslims are Arab! There are 6-8 million Muslims in the U.S.
- Muslims in America outnumber any individual evangelical denomination, having now surpassed Judaism.
- Muslim oil-producing countries contribute millions of dollars to promote Islam in the U.S. and Europe.
- The University of Kansas received 23.4 million dollars from Saudi Arabia to establish an Islamic center.
- Harvard University received 8 million dollars to create an Islamic center to teach Islamic Law only.
- Georgetown University received 5 million dollars to establish an Islamic center for public relations.
- Muslims are organizing themselves to become a political force in the hope that one day they will be able to control congress. Muslims have established over 150 student chapters in most of our American universities.
- Fifty-eight percent of Muslims over age 25 have graduated from college, roughly three times the national average for all white Americans. Per capita, the Islamic community in the United States may be the best-educated group in the world, at least from the Western technological perspective.
- When broken down by race, white Muslims are more likely to have graduated from college than any other religious group.
Contact the Disciples of the Way Office at 214-368-1371 ex 241 for more information.